Friday, October 10, 2014

Dance Like No One's Watching Because You Can

In TWELFTH NIGHT, William Shakespeare says,
“If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.”

And in TWILIGHT OF THE IDOLS, Friedrich Nietzsche says, “Without music, life would be a mistake.”

And even Albert Einstein admitted, “If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

Music is a part of our past, our present and more than likely, our future. Music is a part of every celebration from lullabies to funeral hymns. We remember nearly every event in our life by a song we heard at the time, or which reminds of us of that event. Happy Birthday is significant to every one of us because of the memories of cumulative birthdays. Songs mark our coming of age, our first dates, weddings, and many other joys.

Admittedly, some songs mark our darkest moments as well but instead of dwelling on the sadness of the moment, a song can remind us of the love and memory of the person being celebrated as when a favorite song of a deceased loved one is played at a funeral. It lifts the spirit, makes us smile, and gives us permission to know with confidence whenever we hear that tune, we will remember the person with joy and love.

The past year hasn’t been an easy one for me. If you don’t already know, I got a divorce this year. I ended one chapter in my life, have started a new one, as well as embarked on a new venture: Romancing Editorially.
There’s been a lot of changes, a lot of adjustments, some loneliness, but also a chance to rediscover myself and enjoy my being on my own again. The one constant in my life has been music. I know a lot of folks are tired of hearing HAPPY by Pharrell Williams, but it lifted my spirits when nothing else would and certainly was a great help in my healing. So I'll always love this song and when I hear it, I dance. 



Music is my joy. They say dance like nobody's watching, and I believe in this. March to the tune of your own drum is another good one, which has always guided me. I’ve never been one to follow others and whereas, some may say you must have a plan in life, like a good tune you never know where life is going to take you. I like it that way and so am excited about the future. 

So with memories of tunes marking days gone by, I'm moving on. Some songs I still love to hear even while they had great significance to my wedding, and even while others now mark the dark hours following the end of the marriage, I still find solace, inspiration, and love in music. And yes, I’m going to continue to dance like no one’s watching because I can, and that’s who I am.

What does music say to you? And do you dance like nobody’s watching?

Happy Reading Everyone, or should I say? Happy Listening and Dancing! 
I would dance like this guy! Would you?



No comments: